I’m so so so excited for my upcoming outer island trip with my boyfriend, Sonny and our couple friends. We decided to do our #CouplesSquad vacation to the island of Kauai for a few days. Last year Sonny and I made a summer trip to the island of Maui. It was our first time traveling together and we had a blast adventuring. There’s nothing I love more than traveling and making memories together. How fun would it be to make an outer island Summer trip a tradition?!
What’s awesome about Hawaii is that we can “vacay” to an other island pretty easily without having to travel very far. While we’re technically in the same state and it’s a form of a staycation, it still feels like we’re exploring a new destination because we’re on a different island. Every island has a unique feel with so many different things to do.
It’s crazy to think that some people dream about coming to Hawaii for vacation while we get to call this place home. We are so blessed for that. Kauai aka “the Garden Isle” is the ultimate Summer vacation destination, which calls for an ultimate Summer Vacation Essentials guide.
1. Stripes– I look for any excuse to wear stripes, it’s pretty clear that I have an addiction. I think I’ve Instagrammed the most photos of me wearing the same striped blouses. Stripes are so chic but simple and effortless. How many times can I say stripes in four sentences? LOL
2. White Sandals– Cross over sandals are the perfect shoes to slip on to and from the pool. I’m dying to wear these with an all white outfit.
3. Straw Hat– Straw hats are so fun, and summer-y. The hats with cute sayings embroidered on them are everywhere and are so adorable. Of course straw hats are also awesome because they protect your face from the sun, but obviously I’m a lot more interested in protecting my face with something cute 😉
4. Spray Sunscreen– I prefer spray sunscreen because I’m lazy and don’t like taking the time applying lotion all over my body, especially the hard to reach places. Also, there is nothing worse than trying to reapply lotion with sand stuck to my skin. Lately, I’ve been buying Alba Botanica because they don’t have harmful ingredients oxybenzone or octinoxate.
5. Straw/Woven Beach Bag– Straw bags, woven bags, crochet bags, are all beach bag material. I like bags big enough I can fit all my stuff in and can just throw over my shoulder.
6. Fun Print Swimsuit– A swimsuit is obviously a necessity for a summer vacation. But a fun floral print swimsuit is a necessity for the ultimate summer vacation in Kauai. I NEED NEED NEED the Mahalo print from Acacia. I’m a self-proclaimed bikini connoisseur, I’ve seen plenty of beautiful kinis but there’s something about this print that I can’t get over. I’ve never been so obsessed with a bikini print. I want it in a full piece and bikini set! UGH, why do swimsuits have to be SO cute and SO expensive?
7. High/Mid Rise Denim Shorts– Investing in One Teaspoon denim shorts was the best decision I’ve ever made. The Bandits are my go to denim shorts. Yes they are quite the pretty penny, but they’re so WORTH IT. The scalloped sides are so flattering and make my legs look longer, but the back doesn’t show too much booty. Literally, what more could I ask for?
8. Classic Aviators– Aviators are my favorite style sunglasses ever. They suit my face better than any other style. Gold frames are a must.
9. BB Cream– On vacation I’m getting a lot of sun so SPF protection is very important to me. I look for products with SPF 30 or higher for an extra layer of protection. I like BB Creams, and tinted moisturizers because they create a healthy complexion without being too heavy. Bare Minerals was the first makeup brand I ever used, I love their makeup products because they always keep skin health in mind.
10. Argan Oil– My favorite hair oil of all time! I warm up a few drops in my hands and rub the oil in my ends with my fingertips. This stuff leaves my hair shiny and protected from the heat. A must have for color treated hair and frequent beach goers.
11. Beach Coverup– At the beach my skin is salty, sandy, and covered in sunscreen. I like clothes I can throw on without having to struggle. Any kind of loose cover up works, I like t-shirt dresses, kimonos, and crochet pieces. This poncho from H&M is the perfect combination of all three.
12. Tassel Earrings– I’m obsessed with the tassel earrings trend ** insert heart eyes**. They’re just so fun and scream “I’m here to have a good time”. I really picture wearing these earrings on a tropical vacation, which are perfect for Kauai.
13. Polaroid or Disposable Camera– To capture all the memories. There’s something about photos that have to be developed that are so meaningful and hold a little more sentimental value than a photo taken on an iphone. Polaroids are so fun and old school, I had the Fujifilm Mini Instax and loved it, but I dropped it and it broke 🙁 I have my eye on the Fujifilm Wide Instax that take larger pictures. If I decide I don’t want to spend the money on it right now I’m just going to pick up an old school disposable camera. I love the way these capture perfect moments imperfectly.
14. Printed Beach Towel– Why lay out on a bland, boring, and plain beach towel when you can lay out on a printed, trendy, cute beach towel? It’s as simple of a question as that.
I can’t wait to share more Kauai related posts with you all! Let me know in the comments any vacation essentials I might be missing!
A Whole Lotta Love,