If you know me, you know that I prefer healthy food options, and that I love working out. I’ve mentioned many times that making healthy choices and fitness apart of my routine has become a lifestyle change for me. As much as I love this lifestyle, I have my days when I’m craving sweets, french fries, and tacos. Normally I have one cheat day and the next day I’m back on track. Unfortunately, sometimes I get caught in a cycle of “special occasions” or situations where I justify eating too much and the next thing I know it’s Day 13 of “cheat day.”
A few weeks ago, I got caught up in too many cheat days and I felt like I was in such a funk. When I treat my body badly, I feel it physically and mentally. My workouts weren’t as strong as they usually are and I felt sluggish, lazy, and insecure. After two weeks of carelessness I decided it was time to get back to my routine. My health and fitness journey is never ending, but I finally feel like I’m back to my “normal.”
It was difficult for me to understand that I’m only human, life happens, and it’s okay to not be perfect. I realized that a lot of us go through ups and downs in our health and fitness journeys and that it’s OKAY.
Here are five things I do to get back on track:
- I start my morning drinking plenty of liquids– My morning routine starts with drinking a 32oz hydroflask of water, a cup of green tea, and my essential Herbalife shake. This sounds so cliche but it really helps me start my day off on the right foot, and with my belly full.
- I keep my food choices consistent– I find a few food items that are healthy, that I like, and that I eat consistently. I almost always have an Herbalife shake for breakfast and my favorite foods to snack on are: low fat cheese, raw almonds, and fruit. It might sound boring, but being consistent with my food choices works best with my body. When I venture out and try to eat a variety I tend to over eat.
- I plan my meals– Timing my meals is very important for me to stay full all day. From the moment I wake up I’m thinking about when and what I’m going to eat through out the day. My typical eating schedule is: have my first Herbalife shake at about 8AM, a piece of cheese and a handful of almonds at 10AM, Smoothie or salad at 12PM, piece of cheese and fruit at 2PM, a protein bar before my workout at 4PM, and dinner at 6PM. I’m pretty much always eating because I’m always hungry lol So it’s important for me to keep track of my meal timeline.
- I schedule my workouts– Since my love for working out started with Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide, I really hold myself accountable to a workout schedule. I try to work out 5 or 6 days a week. Therefore, planning is crucial for me to make sure I fit in a workout with my work, school, blog, and social schedule. At the beginning of each week, I plan the days and times for my legs, arms and abs, and cardio workouts.
- I don’t deprive myself of food I love– If I’m trying to get back on track after eating a ton of junk food I have to wean myself off of it. I let myself have a piece of chocolate when I’m craving it and a spoon full of ice cream but I stop myself there. I’ve found that when I get too extreme and completely cut out certain foods that I love (chocolate, ice cream, and cookies) I do well for a couple days and then I break down and binge on a whole carton of ice cream. When I let myself have a couple mini chocolate peanut butter cups a day I satisfy my sweet tooth without going over board.
Again, I am not a health and fitness expert. This is just works what works for me and my body. I hope this is helpful. 🙂
Also, if you haven’t already subscribe to my newsletter to receive daily blog posts straight to your email and be the first to new content. xx
A Whole Lotta Love,